Frequently Asked Questions about e-bikes and more!
Welcome to our new FAQ page, where we're starting to answer some of the most commonly asked questions about solar e-bikes, our business, and more. Click the links in the Contents section to jump to each individual question. If you still have a question after checking out this page, then please don't hesitate to get in touch.
This page is a work in progress. Please check back soon for edits! Thanks.
I. General E-Bike Info
II. General Bike Info
III. Solar + E-Bike: How It All Comes Together
IV. Sol Mobil
VII. Customer Support
VIII. Repair Resources, By Bike:
a. Organic Transit ELF
Using one of our hub motor conversion kits, almost any type of bicycle can be electrified if you choose the correct components for your specific bike while being careful not to exceed its design speed or weight capacity. At Sol Mobil, we as well as our customers have converted all types of bikes to electric, including mountain, road, cargo, commuter, trike, recumbent, folding bikes, and more. If you're unsure which components are needed for your particular build, you can always click 'generate a quote' instead of proceeding with checkout, which will give us a chance to take a look and make recommendations before purchase.
Tire size is always printed on the side of a bike's tire. It is given in inches as well as millimeters according to the different ISO standard tire sizes. Below are the common sizes of bike rims; if you have a modern bike, made in the last 20 years or so, it's most likely using one of the sizes in this first list. It is important to double check which rim size your bike uses before ordering any components to ensure the best possible fit and overall compatibility. Some frames are designed for multiple sizes of bike tires, while other frames can only tolerate a certain size rim. Here is a list of the common rim sizes we normally keep in stock:
20" = ISO 406
24" = ISO 507
26" = ISO 559
27.5"/650B = ISO 584
29"/700C = ISO 622
Here are some other, more obscure sizes that we don't typically sell, but do come across from time to time. If you have a bike with one of these rim sizes, get in touch with us when placing your order so we can get you setup with the proper rim size for your bike:
16" BMX = ISO 305
16" Recumbent = ISO 349. This is the most common standard for 16" wheels, and is used on recumbents as well as folding bikes such as Brompton.
20 x 1-3/4" = ISO 419
20 x 1-1/8" or 20 x 1-3/8" = ISO 451
24" Schwinn S7 = ISO 521
24" Schwinn S5 = ISO 547
26 x 1-3/8" = ISO 590
26" Schwinn S6 = ISO 597
27" = ISO 630
36" = ISO 787. Typically seen on unicycles, as well as bikes built especially for tall people such as Dirty Sixer
At Sol Mobil, we hand build every wheel to order using spokes freshly cut to length on our Morizumi spoke cutting & threading machine. This machine offers visually perfect, factory quality custom length spoke threads at karate chop speeds. We do hub motor builds, as well as regular hub wheel builds, in 14g, 13g, and tapered 14/13g spokes in order to offer complete front & rear wheelsets. It is a good idea to consider replacing the non hub-motor wheel at the same time as the motor wheel, especially if your bike's spokes are tired, or you want the rims & spokes to match. We typically use rims & hubs from Velocity, and spokes from DT Swiss or Sapim.
The following information comes directly from Affirm, and only applies if you choose to use their financing services.
- Buy and receive your purchase right away, and pay for it over several months. This payment option allows you to split the price of your purchase into fixed payment amounts that fit your monthly budget.
- If Affirm approves your loan, you'll see your loan terms before you make your purchase. See exactly how much you owe each month, the number of payments you must make, and the total amount of interest you’ll pay over the course of the loan. There are no hidden fees.
- The application process is secure and real-time. Affirm asks you for a few pieces of information. After you provide this information, Affirm notifies you of the loan amount that you’re approved for, the interest rate, and the number of months that you have to pay off your loan -- all within seconds.
- You don’t need a credit card to make a purchase. Affirm lends to the merchant directly on your behalf.
- You may be eligible for Affirm financing even if you don’t have an extensive credit history. Affirm bases its loan decision not only on your credit score, but also on several other data points about you.
- Affirm reminds you by email and SMS before your upcoming payment is due. Enable Autopay to schedule automatic monthly payments on your loan.
- Be 18 years or older (19 years or older in Alabama or if you’re a ward of the state in Nebraska).
- Not be a resident of Iowa (IA) or West Virginia (WV).
- Provide a valid U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO home address.
- Provide a valid U.S. mobile or VoIP number and agree to receive SMS text messages. The phone account must be registered in your name.
- Provide your full name, email address, date of birth, and the last 4 digits of your social security number to help us verify your identity.
- At checkout, choose Pay with Affirm.
- Affirm prompts you to enter a few pieces of information: Name, email, mobile phone number, date of birth, and the last four digits of your social security number. This information must be consistent and your own.
- To ensure that you’re the person making the purchase, Affirm sends a text message to your cell phone with a unique authorization code.
- Enter the authorization code into the application form. Within a few seconds, Affirm notifies you of the loan amount you’re approved for, the interest rate, and the number of months you have to pay off your loan. You have the option to pay off your loan over three, six, or twelve months. Affirm states the amount of your fixed, monthly payments and the total amount of interest you’ll pay over the course of the loan.
- To accept Affirm’s financing offer, click Confirm Loan and you’re done.
- Affirm asks for a few pieces of personal information: Name, email address, mobile phone number, date of birth, and the last four digits of your social security number.
- Affirm verifies your identity with this information and makes an instant loan decision.
- Affirm bases its loan decision not only on your credit score, but also on several other data points. This means that you may be able to obtain financing from Affirm even if don’t have an extensive credit history.